The Building Better Opportunities programme is funded by The National Lottery Community Fund and the European Social Fund (ESF) who are co-investing in local projects tackling the root causes of worklessness, promoting social inclusion and driving local jobs and growth.
Community Matters is one of four projects within this programme across the Black Country and will help people across Walsall, Wolverhampton, Dudley and Sandwell move into or closer to employment by developing their skills and confidence. Community Matters is managed by the Heart of England Community Foundation in partnership with local organisations across the Black Country.
Just Straight Talk is one of those partners. We will be working alongside the following partners to deliver the project; Access to Business, Accord Age Matters, Bilston Resource Centre, Black Country Housing Group, Dudley Caribbean and Friends Association, Ideal For All, Manor Farm Community Association, Refugee and Migrant Centre, SWEDA, TLC College, Walsall College, Walsall Housing Group, WELL Associates, and Zebra Access.
Just Straight Talk will be delivering the following specific activities:
- Supporting, mentoring, advocating, empowering, inspiring, encouraging and supporting people
- Seeking options for people to increase their life chances
- Confidence building, increasing social skills, increasing motivation, introduction to leisure, hobbies and interests around daytime, evenings and weekends
- Supporting to raise self-esteem, drawing on strengths, identifying skills and utilising local options to continue development and growth
- Referral to short courses (Hooks) for example “get cooking” programmes, Intro to IT, Gardening etc to slowly introduce ways of regular routine and positive steps
- Completing all kinds of forms for housing, benefits, legal, finances etc
- Hand-holding and supporting to meetings, appointments, interviews etc
- Locating emergency accommodation (hostels)
- Helping to generate opportunities and move towards employment, training and education
For more information about the Community Matters Programme please contact Ben Slater on: 0121 314 1543